HIMSS Analytics Honors University Hospital Sharjah with Stage 6 Recognition
As of Q4 2011, just 5.2% of more than 5,300 of hospitals tracked by HIMSS Analytics had reached Stage 6 on its Electronic Medical Record Adoption ModelSM (EMRAM)
DUBAI (May 8, 2012) - HIMSS Analytics announced University Hospital Sharjah has achieved Stage 6 on the EMR Adoption ModelSM (EMRAM). University Hospital Sharjah is renowned for its high quality service with an excellent patient focused environment.
HIMSS Analytics developed the EMR Adoption Model in 2005 as a methodology for evaluating the progress and impact of electronic medical record systems for hospitals in the HIMSS Analytics® Database. Tracking their progress in completing eight stages (0-7), hospitals can review the implementation and utilization of information technology applications with the intent of reaching Stage 7, which represents an advanced electronic patient record environment.
Stage 6 hospitals
- Have made significant executive commitments and investments to reach this stage.
- Appear to have a significant advantage over competitors for patient safety, clinician support, clinician recruitment, and competitive marketing for both consumers and nurse recruitment.
- Have almost fully automated/paperless medical records when they have implemented their IT applications across most of the inpatient care settings.
- Are either starting to evaluate their data for care delivery process improvements or have already documented significant improvements in this area.
- Have made investments that are within reach of most hospitals and recognize the strategic value of improving patient care with the EMR.
- Have begun to create strategic alignments with their medical staff to effectively utilize information technology to improve the patient safety environment
- Are well positioned to provide data to key stakeholders, such as payers, the government, physicians, consumers, and employers, to support electronic health record environments and health information exchanges.
Stage 6 hospitals also have achieved a significant advancement in their IT capabilities that positions them to successfully address many of the current industry transformations, such as exchange of health information, claims attachments for that enable, pay for quality, and government quality reporting programs.
University Hospital Sharjah has successfully met the criteria to be one of the elite hospitals in the world that have successfully deployed this level of healthcare information technology for the betterment of patient care quality and safety. The University Hospital Sharjah has deployed advanced safety features such as computerized physician order entry (CPOE) and on-line physician documentation; both supported by clinical decision support to offer best practice, evidence based clinical guidance to the physicians.
Nursing care is aided by on-line comprehensive nursing documentation supported by the safety of closed loop medication administration (CLMA) where each unit dose medication is verified by a bar code scan before delivery to the patient to ensure the "five rights" of medication delivery are achieved. Closed loop medication administration for each unit dose provides a whole new level of patient safety in medication delivery. The University Hospital Sharjah has proven to be one of the world leaders in deploying healthcare information technology for the betterment of patient care.
"The inauguration of the University Hospital Sharjah in June 2011 truly signified the realization of the vision of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammed Al Qassimi, Ruler of Sharjah and Member of the Supreme Council, to provide the residents of the United Arab Emirates in general, and Sharjah in particular, with in-country access to exceptional World-class healthcare services, said Dr. Amr Abdel-Hamid, Special Advisor to His Highness and Chairman of the Board of the hospital. Achieving HIMSS Level 6 is a major step towards realizing that vision. Our Mission is to advance the quality of our healthcare services by unequivocally adhering to the highest possible medical standards" added Mr. Nigel Weale, CEO, University Hospital Sharjah.
HIMSS Analytics congratulates University Hospital Sharjah for achieving Stage 6 and leading the way toward health IT adoption," said John Hoyt, FACHE, FHIMSS, Executive Vice President, HIMSS.
The Stage 6 Award presentation will be held at HIMSS Middle East12 Conference & Leadership Summit on 20 May 2012 at Abu Dhabi Rocco Forte Hotel.
Return to Press Releases